About Me

My photo
Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Rats


Last night I was woken by what I'm pretty sure was a rat giving birth in the built-in cupboard above my closet. There were the sounds of muffled shufflings, claws on wood, and high-pierced screeching. I bolted upright in bed and flipped on the lamp next to me, hoping light would protect me from anything about to shoot out from behind a door to gnaw me to death. But apparently light and me shouting "Go away I want to sleep" is no deterrent to rat birth. The noises continued for another 15 minutes and then I just stared at that cupboard for about another hour before finally feeling safe enough to lie down and try to fall asleep again...with the light on of course.

I've heard something scampering around at night for some time now, but have tried to convince myself that it's the rain outside or people moving in to the apartment above me. After last night,though, I can no longer lie to myself. There's no mistaking rat shrieks for new neighbors or inclement weather. Although tonight the cupboard is oddly silent, so maybe it wasn't rat birth I heard, but really rat death.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

EEwww! I hope whatever it is goes away. I remember waking up one night when I was in high school to the sound of scratching beside me. I turned on my lamp to see a mouse jump off the top of my trash can and scamper away. I slept with my light on the rest of the night too. And quickly got a trap set up the next day.

Bria said...

A trap sounds like a good idea, although a colleague of mine set out a trap and the aftermath was brutal and bloody. I am not looking forward to having decapitated rats in my apartment, but that is better than live rats I guess.

Kara Jo said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That is disgusting. I don't even know what to say...I'm having visions of bloody rat parts everywhere. Do they have any sticky traps in China?

Hey, my word verification is:
catanest. Maybe you are supposed to get a cat. Then the rats can get caught in its cat-nest! Ha! I crack me-self up!

Bria said...

Kara~ I haven't seen sticky traps yet, but I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled...but wait, does that mean I have to touch and release a live rat? Not keen on that idea.

Getting a cat has been considered...

You crack me up too :o)